Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kitchen Project - Painting Old Cabinets

The first step in deciding to update your old kitchen is to choose a color palette. My colors of choice will be apple green, light green and white. I was also inspired by crackle paint that you see in old country stores or barns. To recreate that on my cabinets I bought some distress clear crackle paint to give it a fun country appeal.

1. Remove all the cabinet doors so that you can wash off any grease or food junk. 
(use mild soap and warm water)
2. Either sand your cabinets or use a deglosser so that it will be easier to paint


3.While your cabinet doors are drying - Paint cabinets with white primer (the oil based primer ensures better resistance against kitchen grease)



 4. After the cabinet doors are sanded you are ready to paint... I warn you this is an intense process :)
- The initial coat of paint will be a white primer
- Then use the color that you want to see through your crackle (in my case light green) - Let it dry
- Apply the clear crackle paint in one direction (the thicker the coat the larger the crackle... the finer the smaller)
- Once the crackle dried you can apply the top coat of your choice (in my case White)
- Watch the magic happen... it's pretty cool






5. I also painted the knobs a lime green




6. Repeat Process and put everything back together :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment